FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:03 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjh8402
My Citi Prestige annual fee is going to be due in August next year. I will have 60,000+ TY points by then. Based on what I'm reading, my best bet for maximizing their value (and the number of points I get) while saving my annual fee cost would be to downgrade that card to a Preferred which will then keep the points good without paying an annual fee. Whenever I want to redeem them, assuming its been two years since the Prestige application, I can apply for a Premier, get another sign up bonus, and then transfer the points from the Preferred to the Premier to maximize their value (if booking through Citi's travel portal). Is this correct?
Assuming you can wait another year-plus (until it's safely more than 2 years -- don't cut it down to the wire, since Citi is knowing for counting wrong, and apply a couple weeks too early can reset you so you have wait yet another 2+years !), yes, that sounds right.

But even after you get the Premier, only transfer when you're ready to redeem.

Also, beware of issues like this when using the Citi travel portal:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...avel-site.html