FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:08 pm
pauly_long

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Battlefield upgrade today

flying SLC-SEA-AMS today. I bought an L Fare 14 days before departure and picked the best flight I could find based on inventory according to ExperFlyer. Nothing available to directly confirm on outbound, although was confirmed on return.

In in the week leading up to departure, I watched inventory bounce around between J7 and J0. When I went to bed last night, I was 1/3 for 2 seats.

This is morning was a very different tale. When leaving SLC, I was 2/5 for 1 seat. I asked the nice lounge dragon what she thought, and she said “don’t board until everyone else has.”

Medallion upgrade to SEA cleared at window, when I landed in SEA the Porsche picked me up, which was just awesome, but Was now 3/0.

At time of boarding I approached GA, and identified myself. He told me no way would I make it, just go ahead and get on. I was a little suspicious that was not the best move, as I watched the two ahead of me clear right as they started boarding PREM.

I hung back back until everyone was aboard, at which time GA paged me and asked me to board. I asked if there were any no-shows and he said no. I thanked him, handed him by BP and got settled.

About 5 minutes after getting settled redcoat comes and finds me with new boarding pass - for seat 2G.

These things may be complimentary, but they certainly aren’t free. I spent waaay to much time agonizing over whether it would clear.