FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight {Archive}
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:18 pm
In The 216
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I can't claim to have seen every single fare condition ex-Canada, but fee for re-issues for Canada-US itineraries and vv. are pretty much always the same as domestic - so $200 for any non-refundable Y fare.

Between USD/CAD, obviously, the CAD is less, but I think you don't get the choice, as it has to be charged in the currency in which the ticket is paid.

It may or may not give them the info. they are looking for.

I've seen too many instances, almost every time I use change flights tool, where on a simple, say, XXX-ORD-YYY connection, it doesn't show what should be standard options within the new search criteria - say XXX-ORD-YYY with a 1 - 2 hour connection. Heck, sometimes those simple all-UA connections don't show up in a regular search even though they should, so I always now compare with google flights, or by doing multi city XXX-hub1-YYY and XXX-hub2-YYY, etc. to make sure I'm not missing potential options. Even when the right flights do show up for change flights, it often shows a fare difference where they shouldn't be - where the new flights have same fare-class availability and meet the conditions needed for that class, but still show a fare difference. That is why when changing flights, I always do a normal search from scratch (including using Google Flights and multi-city as mentioned above) to give me the full list of options. Then I'll either make the change online if it allows (which is only sometimes, at best), or give the specifics to an agent to make the change over the phone.
I've already agreed that the Change Flights button does not always work as it should. That said, some of the statements you've made are a little misleading. Just because a flight or flights show fare class availability does not mean that those fare classes are available for sale. You might see G9, T9, etc. but that does not equate to a G or T fare being available for purchase.