FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:58 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I doubt that in this day and age AAA is much of a business driver. Once upon a time, when long-distance driving was how families traveled, looking in the AAA directory for places to stay made sense and hence the discounts. Not sure that's much of a business model anymore.

Big discounts for large businesses which can throw $.
Some of the hotels which are not showing AAA rates for me today are ones which never have a AAA discount (from my standpoint of qualifying for member rates, anyway), but always had AAA rates. But it was convenient to have them all up come in a single search even if they didn't have AAA savings.

While this glitch is going on, I have to two searches, one with AAA and one without, just to my best rates for all hotels .

If this weren't a glitch, I'd suggest they'd change to like IHG has, where you can do a search on multiple rates simultaneously, and that doesn't require every hotel to have every rate to come up on the search, just to have one of the rates you selected. (Except at IHG, you can't deselect the "normal" rate, which is almost always an advance purchase rate for members, which then distorts the hotel results list if you're not interested in advance purchase.)

And as noted above, sometimes AAA rates are 2-day-cancel when the only member rate that matches the AAA rate is advance purchase. I'd rather have cancellable even if there's no discount, given that I am a AAA member.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 2, 2017 at 7:05 pm