FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Czech Airlines
Thread: Czech Airlines
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:13 am
fcrit

Csa Us-prg

Originally Posted by mauld
Any comments on CSA from PRG to the US? I'm scheduled to fly back home on CSA non stop to EWR in business class (Delta ticket) in Aug. I've heard mixed reviews about this flight--my alternative would be LH, but that would entail connections, and while LH in C is ok, I wasn't overwhelmed with the service my last couple of trips.
I flew CSA last year from JFK to PRG, and it was fine. Not stellar, and not bad. The plane was an A310 with plenty of room. The only surprise was the 2-3-2 configuration in biz class, but I had an aisle seat so this was not an issue for me. Food was a little simpler than DL or AF, but good. No in/at-seat video, though, if that's important to you (I tend to sleep on overnights so I can work the next day). Crew was very friendly (actually a nice change from surly JFK airport (non-CSA) staff on the ground). The Prague airport is nice, and smaller than I expected, so it's very easy to get in and out of.

I also flew CSA from PRG-MAN. They use the Eurpoean standard 2-3 for biz class, and I got a 2 side to myself. Like most of the other European airlines, CSA's short-haul service puts US airlines to shame. Good planes (737 I think), great crews, and full (hot!) meal service even on short flights. CSA manages to have full meal service (hot in front, cold in back) on flights that DL just has fast-break.

I think the best analogy for me is that CSA feels like DL 20 years ago, in good ways and not so good. The decor is a bit simpler, the biz class seats aren't state of the art, and there's no in-seat video. But the food service is high quality and the staff is great - like DL before Leo. I actually liked it at least as well as Delta - I wouldn't hesitate to fly CSA.

And the most 70s-80's element? The Carpenters muzak on board, which I later discovered was fairly common in PRG. Felt a bit like I was back in high school.