FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amangani, Jackson Hole, WY
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:27 pm
BESVISOR
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks @BESVISOR for that review!

I am surprised you found the suites so unimpressive. We loved our Grand Teton Suite, and our mothers loved their regular (Superior) suite, when we were there 5 yrs ago. I think the food and beverage was much better for us. Maybe things have slipped since.

My TripAdvisor review: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...e_Wyoming.html

I have to say that the endless conversation about how better the Asian Amans are with service than other places is making people lose sight of the trees through the forest. Asia is better at service. Period. That’s why. Deal with it. If one wants a sense of place, well the N American and European sense of place isn’t quite as service-oriented as in Asia. Shocking. Guess why? The Chinese Amans level of service is not as amazing as those in Japan. You know why? Chinese service culture isn’t as amazing as that in Japan. Also, people in some cultures will be very service-oriented because it’s the only way they can ever make a decent wage and earn a living to support their families. In N America nd Europe, people have more options.

When I stay in N America, I compare my stays with those in N America (and perhaps Europe). In that regard, Amangani and Amangiri really do shine. If one wants an Asian Aman experience, perhaps one should stay at an Asian Aman.

Yeah, not sure why and really can't even put a finger on it but the room just didn't do it for us. We were just in the entry Superior room but I toured all the other suites and feelings remain the same. But that's just me and I'm a flawed being
I completely get your perspective in that NA Aman resorts should be comp. to other brands' NA resorts (and not Asian Amans)...but part of me also think a global brand is responsible to find ways to ensure global consistency as well. There's a reason for loyalty in a brand. Which is knowing no matter where you land in the world, you can expect the same consistent level in hard and soft products. But I understand why that's unrealistic....then again, this is the brand's problem, shouldn't be the customer's. Amankila was our first Aman, we fell in love with it and just used it as the benchmark ever since. Honestly, being a Travel Agent, I hate telling clients (whom have never heard of Amans) how great Aman can be and how much we love it but only to follow up with, ohh, please don't hold that expectations for the NA ones, though.

Have no idea if any of this is making sense to anyone aside from me...

p.s. in addition to St. Regis SFO, I added 1 night at FS (unfortunately, not in the renovated rooms) and 1 at Ritz Carlton as well....just to get a feel for the land. Dec 25 - 29, and Jan 1...If you're around, would love to meet and trade some stories. Can't decide if Benu is worth the splurge or not...have you been? if so, would love to hear your feedback!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Dec 1, 2017 at 9:34 pm