FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:17 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stheller
No it isn't. I want to know before I apply, not after approval, so I don't accidentally restart the 24-month clock without getting a bonus.
Well, you didn't say that in your previous post (and you replied to my post which was talking about verifying approval, which is why I gave the Wiki FAQ # 11 answer.

There is no way to verify before you apply, without knowing your own opening and closing history (or the rules of using a mailer, if it's a mailer you're applying for) as Citi sees it (but there is no way to find how Citi sees it in a complex case like yours).

If you are applying through a public link for a personal AA card (such as one of those in the wiki), you qualify for the bonus if it's been well more than 24 months since you last opened or closed any Citi AA card (by the "worst" definition of "closed" you can think of). Citi is famous for counting wrong, and it's not possible to know how Citi will count before they do. So the more you pad (25 months, 26 months, 27 months, whatever), the less risk there of not qualifying for the bonus. But there's no way to absolutely determine that you qualify for the bonus until you've receive the new card.

The other way to know you qualify is to use a mailer (of the right type!) that was sent to you. But if you haven't any mailers, that won't help you.

Finally, you can get 60k AA miles from Barclay, and there is no clock to reset there in practice (just don't have the previous card open any more by the time you apply for the new card). So if Citi's 24-month clocks on AF-waived AA card offers are too much for you, switch to Barlcays no-clock offers where you simply pay the AF each time to get the miles.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-60k.html