FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:59 am
davetravels
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Stop being a cheapskate and pay the $99. Yes, it's a short flight but it will make your life easier. You're lucky it was even available. I've only once managed a complimentary upgrade on KLM and that was only because I was flying LHR-AMS-CDG-DTW in business-class but AMS-CDG was in economy for whatever reason. KLM sells upgrades but not for $99.

The Virgin Atlantic arrivals lounge is about 5 minutes past the exit doors after customs and immigration. You need to take an elevator up a level as if you were going to the parking garage. There are signs marking the way. The space itself is a little tired -- the decor is early 2000s -- but it's a great way to shower, get a manicure or massage, have a breakfast, grab some newspapers, do emails and so forth. My guess would be if your flight lands at 9:30 a.m. you probably won't be at the lounge for 40-45 minutes, at the earliest. That's a fairly busy time for arrivals so there may be a delay at customs and immigration, even in the fast track lane. (Your Delta flight attendants are supposed to give each business-class passenger, as well as diamonds in economy-class, passes for the fast track, aka priority, lane for customs and immigration.)

If you aren't spending any time in London then you won't get to use the Virgin lounge because you'll bypass customs and immigration and proceed directly to international connections and over to Terminal 4. There is a Sky Team lounge in the terminal that Air France and KLM uses, which Delta formerly used. I like this lounge. Lots of space. The lounge is spread out over two levels. There is a small spa with some complimentary treatments. The wine selection is always good.

In Amsterdam, I despise the KLM lounge. Not only is it notoriously overcrowded, but you might wait 30 minutes to get any issues resolved with a desk agent. I've waited 60 minutes for a shower before. The food is horrible. Like industrial. High school and hospital cafeteria food is better. The only good aspect is the self-serve bar.

I normally go to the KLM lounge, get a drink or two and then just walk around the airport and people-watch. Amsterdam's airport is great for people-watching. Plus, there are lots of shops.
A - - C H E A P S K A T E?!?!?!?!?

I'm thrifty, but, not a cheapskate! For an extra $99, I'd get a confirmed UG - The seat is EXACTLY THE SAME AS COACH, with the middle seat blocked. A different meal <arguably better>. I say that the Business Class food on intra-Europe AF/KL flights is weirder. As to not having to worry about whether or not I'll have to pay for a third checked bag - - flyerCO says the checked bag allowance goes by the long haul segment.

Thanx for the info on the Virgin arrivals lounge. I'm gonna do it, for sure! The SkyTeam Lounge in T4 I visited last trip. It's very nice!

Originally Posted by sethb
That's correct. You're lucky they're not charging it because the long segment is upgraded.
I figured the additional tax was correct, just a little disappointed since I'm pretty sure I didn't pay it last time.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You'll get the allowance for the cabin you're in on the long haul.
I do believe you, flyerCO. You fly A TON! I'd really like a second or third opinion!

Can anyone else chime in as to, when flying:

LHR/AMS - KL Y class
AMS/DTW - DL One
DTW/PIT - DL F

Should I get the KL Y class checked bag allowance of 1 bag + 1 for being STE+, or 2 bags for Delta One TATL + 1 bag for STE+?!?!?

Thanx in advance!