FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:33 am
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We had a very nice two-night stay earlier this week. We arrived on Sunday via the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Odawara and then decided to take the scenic route and not wait for the shuttle. We purchased Hakone Free (travel) Passes at Odawara and then took the local train to Hakone-Yumoto Station where we dropped off our luggage (22" carry-ons) at the Hakone Baggage Forwarding Service for delivery to the hotel later that afternoon. This was needed as we wanted to take the Hakone Tozan switchback train to Gora and there's really no room for anything larger than a purse or backpack. After a lunch stop in Gora, we took the Hakone Tozan cable car up the hill. It's a short (5 min or so) walk from the Kami-Gora stop (be sure and get off on the correct side!) to the Hyatt.

Check-in was very easy and pleasant. We used a Tier Suite Upgrade and were placed in a Regency Suite on the third floor (306). No further upgrades offered to Tatami or Executive, but this was fine; we really enjoyed the views of Fuji-san. Welcome amenity was a bottle of Canvas Cab Sav, oranges, and chocolates.

Wine hour was great and we made use of the free snack coupons and expanded Globalist drink menus each night. Breakfast was really good; we enjoyed the quality and selection of dishes as we both love Japanese-style breakfasts. We did a lot of sight-seeing during the days we were there and were tired enough each night to eschew going out to eat (or even downstairs) and elected to get rooms service each night. The patio table in the suite made dining convenient. All the staff we encountered were super-helpful and friendly.

We made liberal use of the onsen; terrific and relaxing soaking. We didn't do any of the formal spa services. Pro tip - I'm a big guy; I wear a Size 48 suit. The yukata provided in the rooms are sized small and medium, the latter fit well-enough to go to/from the room to the onsen, but I asked housekeeping to swap me a large the next day. I'd suggest sending an email to the hotel before arrival to give them your robe size for the yukata and also your shoe size for the geta.

We reserved seats on the shuttle to Odawara via email about a week before and as advertised, it was a 45 min ride down the hill to Odawara.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the property for a two-night stay.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 1, 2017 at 3:46 pm