FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CK Boarding Before Wheelchair Preboards?
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:00 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nickbodkins
Hey guys, I'm a CK, and I can say it's about 15/85 in my experience. The 15% coming typically with INTL, mostly TATL/TPAC flights. It was most common before they actually started calling us by group, rather than just paging me to the desk and then boarding us prior. I know that there are ADA and DOT regulations around this. I also tend to agree that for the most part, boarding one or two of us does not interrupt the pre-board process, simply because we're typically on, bags stowed, in a seat and dis-engaged from the boarding process pretty quickly.
The ADA does not apply to commercial aviation and the ACA simply requires appropriate accommodation. Pre-boarding is provided for the convenience of the carrier, the individual requiring special assistance and the other passengers. It is an easy way of assuring that special assistance passengers are able to board without undue hassle and have the extra time it may take to be safely seated.

A carrier could theoretically board each special assistance passenger in his regular boarding order and simply hold the boarding process up so that the passenger safely boards. Not particularly efficient, but perfectly legal.