FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:47 pm
jerry305

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Allie Abby
has anyone booked travel with there scotia bank amex pts , why i ask is im going to rent a car with ac vactions ,its $100 cheaper than anywhere else i looked , so i phoned scotia rewards , and told them where i want to book a car with and want to pay with pts after i pay for car with my card, guy tells me it could be a couple of billing cycles before all my pts are used to pay for this charge, doesnt make sense to me, if i have enough pts , why dont they just take the pts all at once.
Reward worked fine for me.
There was an eligible hotel charge on my October 20 statement; I phoned in to have points redeemed against it.
Scotia Amex took 30,000-ish points out of my account; I received the email confirmation pretty quickly if not immediately.
When the next statement arrived, that amount was credited against my balance owing on the following statement.
So, again, I did pay for that hotel stay, and then got the equivalent ($300-ish) credit on that next statement.
This worked as I expected.

In your case, I don't see why the points wouldn't be used up immediately, either.
The points you're earning on spending in the month right now might not be available until the monthly statement is issued; maybe that's what he's talking about.

Now, that's my experience booking my travel directly with a travel provider, waiting for the charge to appear, and then claiming that as a reward.
If someone wants to use Scotia's travel agency to pay with points, it's possible that that process will take longer.