FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Biggest shock to come?: When maximum peak Honors price ends
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:14 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pinniped
Would I boycott HH? Probably not, but I'd be recalibrating how many points per dollar I'd need to earn in order to continue booking paid stays. (Just like I do now with IHG - I hardly ever stay there unless the promotions are very, very good.) Translation: I'd only be booking during things like the 3x promo, meaning it simply takes a bunch of points inflation to keep me around.
That's pretty much where I am at now; Hilton points are a rebate, I'm burning them pretty regularly at .5 cpp. I don't view Hilton Honors as a way to get some kind of massive value for aspirational travel where I get $600 rooms for pennies on the dollar, now that C&P is effectively dead as a technique to get luxury properties for cheap prices, and we're looking at 95k for the most expensive rooms. Nuking the cap wouldn't change that much (it would hurt the most when we have properties where rates spike, the classic Hampton Inn during Super Bowl/major event when ALL the rooms are expensive).

I actually prefer Hilton to Club Carlson (which is also a "shovel points at you program" like Hilton and IHG) because it's easier to get good deals on Hilton with points. 28k CC points a night for a Park Plaza in Bangkok that's going for $80 all in? GTFO. Hilton indexing point pricing here is actually helpful (that hotel would be under 20k HH).

But my Hilton travel has a LOT of Hampton Inns/HGI/Homewood Suites in it, and the Hilton full service properties I stay at are almost always "well, this is actually a low season/good deal" kind of buy. So looking at it as a rebate isn't terrible for me. Then again I collect WN points knowing I won't ever drink Krug or eat caviar on a WN plane, but I can make it into a relatively good deal for a rebate on travel.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:21 pm