FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transit with alcohol
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:51 am
Flame3601

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by remdk
Flame3601 While I have not experienced customs in DOH my understanding is that they are very much on the ball!
Smuggling alcohol into Qatar is a very serious offence and I would suggest that the risks and consequences are just not worth it.
Originally Posted by Ben_W
As a resident I most defiantly would not attempt to bring any in. I am likely to get in to more trouble because I should know better.
Generally if you get caught as a visitor, they take it off you and you can get it back when you leave.
Last year my sister came to visit my via Dubai where so visited a friend first and had a bottle in her case, didn't know about the rules but they missed it here!
Gordon Ramsay even famously got caught recently when he wanted to take a bottle to one of his restaurants!

Pork on the other hand is different, a lot of residents bring that back with them!
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Here's a guide from the U.K. government about local laws in Qatar. They take this stuff very seriously. Link. Apart from potentially quite severe penalties, we should always remember that we are guests when we are in a foreign country. Like any guest, we should respect the laws, customs, culture and traditions of our hosts.
Originally Posted by railways
Your hand luggage will be X-rayed on arrival so it will almost certainly be found.

At the old airport once I had an overnight transit and was not aware of the rule. The offending bottle was very courteously removed (after being spotted on the X-ray) and a receipt issued - no problem at all. The following morning I gave my receipt to a member of staff in the Premium Terminal, and within 15 minutes the bottle was returned to me.
Thanks all,

I have no intention of starting my trip into Doha with a fine or switching my hotel room , thanks Qatar STPC , for a jail cell nor do i want to offend others of the country i am going to. I will keep my bottle of blonk in my bag that is going in the hold and not my cabin bag. I do not want to have the glass bottle break in my hold bag , so would a better option be keeping them in my cabin bags and then declaring them as i really do not want a red wine soaked bag or would that not be allowed and get me the nickname of Mr Haram ?

Btw, Doha is not my final destination.

Thanks