FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate Status
View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:17 am
San Gottardo

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by NickB

2) Second, I would also question the idea that schemes like FB Ulti or LH Hon or BA GGL are designed to be statuses to which one strives for (i.e. aspirational statuses). It seems to me that it is rather the opposite: they are primarily there as recognition for people who naturally tend to fly an awful lot with the airline rather than encourage incremental flying to reach the level. It seems to me that they are more about not losing a customer rather than as a driver of additional revenue. That said, it is true that there will be a number of individuals who are not the natural targeted constituency for the status and who will take steps to reach it. These are the BA GGLs that acquire their status through MRs from Europe to Hawaii, for instance. A similar phenomenon exists with LH Hons. I would have thought that this is a small constituency which is vastly over-represented on FT and reading the BA Board or the LH Board may give an over-inflated view of the significance of this, I would have thought.
I happen to know many people who "aspire" to HON. They are not on FT, they do not check their mileage balance every day, they do not go on mileage runs. But they "keep an eye on it". These people fly an awful lot, and a little redirecting of travel to LH/LX/OS will make the difference between 550k and 650k HON miles. Getting over the hump means that travel will become somewhat (for some situations signficantly) stress-free and potentially even pleasant. So it's worth re-directing a little travel there. I admit being one of those, but despite being on FT I do not check my mileage balance but certainly if there is one status that I want to make sure I keep it is this one, as it really makes a difference. So I aspire to it (gaining or maintaining), and the features offered loyalise me. Which is what the airline wants. The features and execution shortfalls of ULTI do not make it an aspiration for anyone (or at least not for most). Some ULTI posters here have said that they are disappointed and therefore indifferent whether or not they'll re-qualify. And I have yet to read about anyone who has decided to privilege AFKL now that ULTI exists. Hence, no additional revenue for AFKL. I therefore tend to agree that AFKL misses an opportunity, and that not hearing other than anecdotal enthusiasm is something revealing.

I agree with all your other points.