FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:23 am
Saltire74
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Cabin Lights On For Take Off & Landing In Hours Of Darkness?

Morning All

Just sat in T5 Galleries North after arriving from DME and waiting to get home to Boonie Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.

On BA236 from DME this morning, A321 mid haul service operated by Mixed Fleet crew. I am a self confessed window licker on take off and landing and enjoy the views and like to try and pinpoint landmarks. Just as we were going full throttle down the runway at DME, it suddenly occurred to me that the interior cabin lights were still at full illumination which spoiled the outside view a bit as it was still dark outside.

After a wee sleep and approaching the South East coastline, the lights were put on for the cabin crew to prepare for arrival. Nice clear sky over London & managed to pick out a few landmarks, but again, lights stayed on full. Managed to get a couple of decent snaps after angling myself and phone to minimise reflections of myself and the interior of the cabin but looking from the light into the dark doesn’t give the best views.

In all all the years I’ve been flying, regardless of airline, I have always experienced the cabin lights being dimmed for take off or landing in the hours of darkness which I was under the impression was for safety reasons/orientation in case of emergency evacuation during darkness (please tell me if my understanding of that is crap ).

Anybody else experienced this? Is it a new SOP? If it was one or other, I could understand the crew maybe just forgot, but for both take off & landing

Any thoughts?

S