FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Responsibility of AA for Invalid Passport?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:07 pm
2y4life

Responsibility of AA for Invalid Passport?

Alright, I will try to make this as short and brief as possible.

My grandmother purchased a ticket from Charlotte to Laos and her passport expires in March of 2018. She was not aware of the 6month rule. The problem was that on the first leg of the flight was through American Airlines from Charlotte to LA. American Airlines checked her passport and then allowed her to get onto the flight. She arrived in LA and then when she attempted to board the flight from LA to the next leg of her trip (S. Korea), she was denied boarding due to her passport having less than 6 months left upon return. The problem here was that we had to buy her a ticket back from LA to Charlotte.

I understand it is the traveller's responsibility to make sure they have all of the proper documentation and when my cousins bought the tickets, they assumed that since her passport hadn't expired, all they needed was a visa. My question is, does AA bear any responsibility for allowing her to board the flight to LA in the first place, which resulted in her having to purchase another ticket back home to Charlotte? Please advise