FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2015-19 AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:28 pm
coolcoil

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
Hi All,

Trip planned for a Sunday in June MAD - MIA on Iberia. I want to connect from MIA - Tampa on AA. Due to the connection time being exactly 90 mins rather 95, which doesn't meet MCT, Iberia will not book me through, forcing me to purchase two separate tickets. I arrive at 8:05pm on Iberia and departure is 9:30pm on AA to Tampa. Wife and I are global entry and in premium economy. We might not be checking luggage, but in the event we did, is this doable at this time on a Sunday?
It is extremely unlikely that you can do this with checked baggage. I assume that the baggage reclaim experience with IB will be no different than for AA, so at best you will have your luggage in hand 40 minutes after arrival. Therefore you would almost certainly miss the cutoff time for rechecking* baggage. I'm not saying it couldn't happen for somebody on occasion, but I think the probability of success is less than 5%.

No checked baggage with GE is very doable.

*Update: To be clear, by rechecking in this case I mean having to go to a regular check in location to get bags tagged and accepted by American. In cases unlike this one, where they can be tagged to the final destination and just dropped off, making the connection would still be high risk, but a much better chance of making it.

Last edited by coolcoil; Nov 28, 2017 at 5:01 am