FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:45 pm
jeanie

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by chix
I posted the below in the Hilton forum thread.

It is really an Amex issue, but wanted to alert Citi holders that cancelled about the concern:

I already have the Hilton Honors Citi Card. I also have Amex Surpass and have no need for another card whether identical or similar.

So I deceided to cancel the Citi Card last month so that it does not convert to Amex.

I received a letter in the mail from Amex today. The letter reiterates what the Citi letter said to expect.

However, what bothers me is the letter goes as far as assigning a NEW Amex account number xxxxx91006. It says the card will automatically be mailed in January.

Obviously I don’t want the card and more important, do not want a new account showing up on my credit and that is why I cancelled early.

I called the special Amex # on the letter and was connected to an offshore agent.

She said no worries.... that “the system” will recognize in January that I cancelled with Citi and a new Amex Card will not be sent.

I asked for that in writing and she said they can’t but will document the notes from the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor will not be able to put in writing either. Supposedly a sup will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have zero confidence at this point that my request to not issue a new Card will be honored given that an Amex account has already been assigned in this letter.

Any suggestions?

Did the supervisor ever call you? I am in a similar situation, but with multiple Citi HH cards. I cancelled them back in October. After finally getting under 5/24 so that I could apply for some Chase cards that I wanted, now these HH cards are causing me grief. The accounts were over 2 years old. My main concern is that I don't want new accounts on my credit report. If they show up as being opened when the Citi accounts were opened, I can live with that. I just really don't want this to mess me up with Chase!

Last edited by jeanie; Nov 27, 2017 at 9:00 pm