FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deadhead crew boarding as pre-boards?
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:21 pm
kb9522

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Hi there. About oversized luggage. FAs are required to use company approved luggage. Though in some cases, on especially long trips, it’s a larger bag or an extra piece of luggage. At NWA, we had trips up to 12-13 days long. FAs and their luggage travel together. There is no time to check their bags. It’s a simple matter of possibly getting separated from their luggage. Delta FAs are not unionized. This is strictly company policy.

A couple of other things mentioned in the thread. “cutting” in line. It doesn’t look right for a group of uniformed employees waiting at the head of the line in front of passengers. When boarding begins, they are to get on as soon as possible. In the old days, we used to get on board before regular boarding commenced. That’s no longer allowed. That does not mean that they can’t be polite when moving in line to board. The other, you’re right, bringing shopping bags on board. That’s not supposed to happen. If the items don’t fit in the luggage, don’t buy it or ship it home.

Safe Flying

NWA FA
Thanks for the clarification.

To be sure though, you're saying it takes too much time for them to leave their luggage in the jetway as they board, as opposed to boarding with them and then forcibly stowing them in whatever space they can find?

And why are passengers not afforded the luxury of not being separated from their luggage? Unlike the FAs who cost money to be on the flight, passengers pay money to be there... Or does the carrier have such little faith in their ground ops that they can't be trusted with a very small number of valet checks**? To me the latter speaks to an even larger issue.

** Sorry, when I said gate check in my previous post, I really meant valet check.