FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deadhead crew boarding as pre-boards?
View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:35 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
ATL-JFK FL 202 today.
A half-dozen deadheading flight attendants board with the pre-boards. They even cut in front of a wheelchair pax. As if this didn't look bad enough, the gate agent gave an older man trying to board behind them the third degree about whether he was qualified to pre-board.

I can't think of any reason uniformed employees should board before their zone.
Cutting in line or more generally being rude to customers and others reflects badly on the uniformed employee and especially their employer.

I'm sure some employees will be along here soon to state that employees are entitled to preboard and are also entitled to bring more luggage than even the most elite passenger. However, I think it's wrong when they use preboarding as a means to hog overhead bin space in FC exit or bulkhead rows when the employees' assigned seats are elsewhere.

Finally, AFAIK airline employees are only permitted to ask whether a passenger has a handicap, which can be temporary or permanent. They are not permitted, according to the ACCA, to question the passenger about the handicap, ask about the nature of the handicap, etc. except to inquire about what accommodations are needed. They can also question whether a passenger is fit to fly, needs to get a medical certificate, or requires a companion or an attendant, etc.