FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Smoking preference guarantee
View Single Post
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:17 pm
olympian

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Where hotel no longer has smoking rooms available , I would not expect that .'guarantee' to a stay to apply or try to claim against the possible guarantee. As it is no longer a failure by hotel at checkin regards room.
I disagree. IHG's "Online Reservation Guarantee https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/cus...ith-confidence simply says that "Your room is guaranteed" and that it applies "If your reservation cannot be honoured..." but without listing any exclusions as to in which way(s) it isn't honoured. If the guarantee was just to provide any room for your stay, as you imply, and not to also honour the room type etc., then it should say so otherwise it's rather unfair.

So if I had a confirmed reservation for a smoking room, and the hotel could no longer honour my booking for a smoking room, then I'd certainly be looking to invoke the guarantee and expecting them to find me a smoking room elsewhere. At the very least they could have contacted you in advance about their move to all non-smoking rooms to discuss it with you and avoid any issues at check-in.

OP - did you definitely book a smooking room, not just a "Standard room" but with a non-guaranteed preference of smoking (as per your thread title), and has the room type in your reservation since been modified to a non-smoking one?