FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concorde stories: Remembering the 'pocket rocket'
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:42 am
ttay

Programs: BAEC
I never travelled on Concorde but as a child I lived under the flight path and used to marvel at the sight of it while playing in the garden. My dad knew somebody who worked at Waterside and had been on the last ever flight. Before one of our flights from LHR we went to Waterside early to meet my dad's friend and he gave me a toy Concorde and some cutlery from the last flight. My dad got a framed picture of the aircraft (a commemorative piece for the last flight) which now hangs in the hall of our family home. I often look at that picture as it reminds me that Concorde is one of the main reasons that I have always loved air travel. There is also a sense of sadness when I look at the picture because it seems likely that we will not experience a similar form of travel ever again and are far more likely to leapfrog to something like what has been proposed by SpaceX in the last few days (anywhere in the world in ~30 mins while effectively strapped to a rocket - not much scope for luxury/romance there).