FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in New Orleans [Merged threads]
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:20 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My wife and I recently completed a six-day stay at the Marriott at 555 Canal, which we were attending for a conference. Look, the hotel is very big and very suited for conference-goers, so I would not call it charming. But the service was great, including some great advice and restaurant recommendations from the concierge desk, and everything worked well - housekeeping, a pretty decent gym, etc. Plus, due to either my Marriott Platinum or her Marriott Gold status, we received a free upgrade to a largish (albeit with a small bathroom), quiet, corner room (2802) with a good view in two directions, including toward the Mississippi. For those who can get the 02 corner rooms, I'd highly recommend them.

A nice little perk of the place is that if you have Netflix (and perhaps other apps?) you can access your account for free on the tv in the room. BUT make sure to sign out when you leave, as the person staying in the room before me did not do so (so I did it for him/her).

The only lounge is a rather small and charmless one on the ground floor, where Marriott elites can get some sort of breakfast. We didn't use or need it, so it didn't make any difference for us.

Finally, I'd contrast this hotel with the supposedly more upscale JW Marriott New Orleans, which we stayed at several years ago, and which I realize some folks here prefer. The JW was fine in most respects, but it has paper thin walls that are a real drag in terms of hearing the tiniest movements (not to mention some loud cackling) from next door. Perhaps we just got lucky, but we heard nothing this time in our room in the Marriott except a bit of the rush of elevators a couple doors down from us, and that was not a problem at all.