FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A tale of two flights. Club Europe compared to Economy
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:58 pm
FrancisA

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Palatino
I fly mainly short haul, approx 30 times a year and usually BA, even though the airline has deteriorated immensely since I started flying with them as an air courier 35 years ago.
In my opinion CE these days is what Y was a few years ago. The only thing I value is the lounge access, which if you hold status you get anyway, and the empty middle seat. Last couple of flights flying CE even the curtain separating the two classes was missing, blurring the products even further (has anybody else experienced the missing curtain lately? Seems to be happening more and more).
Whether it is worth it or not comes down to the price. Lately I found that in a lot of cases there is not much difference between Business and Economy prices. In fact, flying back from PSA a couple of weeks ago the price for CE was 240 euros for the return leg and 250 for Economy plus. Not sure what that is all about but you would have to be an idiot to book economy and pay an extra 10 euros.
To summarize, I am quite happy to pay an extra £30 or £40 pounds for CE, which is the value I would place for the empty middle seat and a couple of glasses of Champagne. Anything more then that, unless you need tier points, and it is not worth it, especially for passengers with lounge access due to status.
As someone who has flown regularly for over 40 years, I would love to know which airline a few years ago offered in Y Champagne, an empty middle seat, lounge access, etc.