FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:55 pm
OliverB

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bhrubin
As a local who has visited friends and colleagues in all three hotels many times in just this most recent year, I think the Westin has by far the most modern and refreshed rooms overall and the nicer restaurant. (I’ve also stayed overnight here and very much like the hotel.)

I also think the Westin is a bit nicer overall as a property—smaller hotel, less confusing layout than the Marriott Newport Beach, much nicer restaurant, and a great location across from South Coast Plaza. I think room sizes aren’t terribly efferent across the properties, but I can’t say for sure. I’d put the Newport Beach Marriott in Fashion Island next, as its rooms can be a bit dated, but it’s still a nice, clean Marriott. The Marriott Bayview is woefully dated in comparison and really doesn’t have nice views nor is it close to as much as the others,

You pay a bit more for the Westin likely also because South Coast Plaza is the very premium mall. Fashion Island is nice, but South Coast Plaza is top drawer. So that may push you one way or the other. If you like the Fashion Island location better, you may be better off staying at the Marriott. If you like the South Coast Plaza location (which also has excellent freeway access and is extremely close to SNA), then the Westin is your better choice.

Hopw that helps.

You also can consider the Avenue of the Arts Tribute Portfolio Hotel just a few blocks away. It’s a pretty cool place, too.
Thanks bud! My original gut said Westin and your post above has made it official. Sold on the Westin SCP.

I'm going to book alternate nights with my acct and my wife's in order to bank the bonus 1K 'Explore More' promo points currently offered. Marriott's running a promo for free cat. 1-5 nights which seemed like a good deal but there's not a single property I see myself redeeming that stay for in the next 6 months. The Westin is better situated to where we'll be spending most of our time anyhow.

Thanks again for helping to sway my decision!