FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:50 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
Anyone that's stayed at Marriotts in Newport Beach can you offer a quick comparison in terms of hard product, room size, layout and comfort? I could care less about amenities or service at these type of hotels but would like to know how this compares to the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa or Newport Bayview. It's a bit more expensive but I'll gladly take it if it makes for a nicer stay.
As a local who has visited friends and colleagues in all three hotels many times in just this most recent year, I think the Westin has by far the most modern and refreshed rooms overall and the nicer restaurant. (I’ve also stayed overnight here and very much like the hotel.)

I also think the Westin is a bit nicer overall as a property—smaller hotel, less confusing layout than the Marriott Newport Beach, much nicer restaurant, and a great location across from South Coast Plaza. I think room sizes aren’t terribly efferent across the properties, but I can’t say for sure. I’d put the Newport Beach Marriott in Fashion Island next, as its rooms can be a bit dated, but it’s still a nice, clean Marriott. The Marriott Bayview is woefully dated in comparison and really doesn’t have nice views nor is it close to as much as the others.

You pay a bit more for the Westin likely also because South Coast Plaza is the very premium mall. Fashion Island is nice, but South Coast Plaza is top drawer. So that may push you one way or the other. If you like the Fashion Island location better, you may be better off staying at the Marriott. If you like the South Coast Plaza location (which also has excellent freeway access and is extremely close to SNA), then the Westin is your better choice.

Hope that helps.

You also can consider the Avenue of the Arts Tribute Portfolio Hotel just a few blocks away. It’s a pretty cool place, too.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 1, 2017 at 11:02 pm