View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:35 am
arf04

Originally Posted by Plumber
My calculations are:
Base AQM 13556
COS AQM 3390

Total AQM 16,946

The above is assuming that your YQR-YVR-YQR legs book into Latitude B and that you still get the 25% COS AQM on those flights as well.

As for whetehr it is worth it, that is really up to you.

My bro-in-law is at 87,000 AQM and would never think of bumping up to SE. He is already at $20 AQD... I convinced him on the weekend to go for it and he is now taking some flights to HNL. The reasoning was simple- some time in the next two years, he wants to take his family of 5 to Europe. I showed him an SE example and non-SE example to FRA...
YOW-FRA in Economy
Non-SE- 120,000 AP Miles using E50K Priority Rewards plus $715.00 in taxes and fees
SE- 60,000 AP Miles using SE-100K Priority Rewards plus ~$215 in taxes and fees...

For him , a savings of 60,000 AP Miles and ~$500 per ticket--- multiplied by 5 = 300,000 AP Miles saved and $2500 saved.

Plus the possibility of accumulating enough and getting J reward seats instead of Y.

Once he understood the math, (plus other SE benefits- concierge, Eupgrade priority etc) it was a no-brainier for him.

So it depends on what you plan on doing in the next while.

Good luck!
Thanks! Much appreciated as it helps a lot. I wish I had been on top of this earlier in the year as I could have planned my time better. Time is the main challenge I have right now. Even this week is closing up, alas, so it may not be possible to get away. And I'm well aware that I'm no longer a young pup who can do a TPE turn and roll right into a TATL, which is my only other option. I would still be recovering in the new year if I did that... lol