FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for Earning 20k AQMs
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:00 am
Plumber

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by arf04
Two questions:

1. Can someone help me (or better yet, just figure out) what YQR-YVR-TPE-YVR-YQR would net me in terms of AQM on a PY fare?

2. I'm very much on the fence about doing this as a MR to get to SE. It'd have to be late this week as after that I have other travel and commitments that mean I can't be away for the several days it'd take. So, other than concierge services what are the main benefits that would make a MR worthwhile? I'd be spending about $1600 for the ticket plus a few hundred for a hotel in TPE as I'd plan to at least do a quick look around while there. I'll be an E75 for sure next year in any case, so should be doing ok for most benefits but am trying to weigh in whether the pluses are truly worth it.

Thanks!
My calculations are:
Base AQM 13556
COS AQM 3390

Total AQM 16,946

The above is assuming that your YQR-YVR-YQR legs book into Latitude B and that you still get the 25% COS AQM on those flights as well.

As for whetehr it is worth it, that is really up to you.

My bro-in-law is at 87,000 AQM and would never think of bumping up to SE. He is already at $20 AQD... I convinced him on the weekend to go for it and he is now taking some flights to HNL. The reasoning was simple- some time in the next two years, he wants to take his family of 5 to Europe. I showed him an SE example and non-SE example to FRA...
YOW-FRA in Economy
Non-SE- 120,000 AP Miles using E50K Priority Rewards plus $715.00 in taxes and fees
SE- 60,000 AP Miles using SE-100K Priority Rewards plus ~$215 in taxes and fees...

For him , a savings of 60,000 AP Miles and ~$500 per ticket--- multiplied by 5 = 300,000 AP Miles saved and $2500 saved.

Plus the possibility of accumulating enough and getting J reward seats instead of Y.

Once he understood the math, (plus other SE benefits- concierge, Eupgrade priority etc) it was a no-brainier for him.

So it depends on what you plan on doing in the next while.

Good luck!