FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:57 am
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by rhoman
Question for all the experts. I had a CSP in 11/2015, and got the bonus in 12/2015. I downgraded to the regular CS in 2016. I recently applied for the CSP, but was rejected since I had another CS product. But this is where the confusion starts. I dont want to close the account since I have a higher credit limit. I called the reconsideration line if I could convert the card to a Freedom card and wait a few months then re-apply. I was told I could get it but I wouldn't get the welcome bonus. From my understanding I could get the welcome bonus as long as it has been 24 months from last bonus and didn't have another sapphire product. Has anyone else had this situation? I wasn't sure if Chase introduced a lifetime restriction ala Amex, or the rep was just misinformed. Thanks.
Yes, a friend of mine is in a similar situation. He called in to convert his CSP to Freedom Unlimited and then applied for the Sapphire Reserve. However, his application was rejected because he "had more than one Sapphire product". He inquired how that could be the case when he had done a product change from CSP to Freedom Unlimited. Both a rep on the reconsideration line and a branch employee told him that the system still sees that account as originally having been a Sapphire product and will subsequently decline applications for future Sapphire products. The branch employee told him to move his credit line from the CSP/Freedom Unlimited to another Chase account, close the Freedom Unlimited, and then reapply for the CSR and Freedom Unlimited, both as new accounts. As long as it has been more than 24 months since the bonus, you should get the signup bonus. It is not like AmEx where it's once per lifetime for a card product.