FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beijing General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:55 pm
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
. . . Some other hotel options you might consider are the Peninsula Palace Beijing. The Peninsula Palace just completed a huge renovation, and the hotel is quite stylish now, and I would say, up to Peninsula standards. Location of the hotel is quite central. . .
Years ago, before the St. Regis & Hyatt and some other more recent additions, The Palace Hotel, owned by the Peninsula Group, was by far the nicest hotel in Beijing. I used to stay there regularly. While it was never up to the Peninsula Hong Kong level of luxury, it was the best Beijing had to offer. (On of my favorite aspects was the Rolls Royce airport service -- what class!) The last time I was there several years ago, it was clearly showing its age. That's when I moved to the St. Regis and have never gone back. I'm glad to hear they've brought it back up to such a premier level. The location is tough to beat -- truly walking distance to Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City and great shopping & restaurants.