FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More seat swapping/poaching fun!
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:47 pm
S_D_P

Given that this will always happen to frequent flyers, sometimes it is good just to chuckle about it. My favorite experience was a few years ago. I boarded a flight departing from Zurich and was one of the first seated in J. I opened my Kindle and started reading, when an elderly lady came up and started speaking to me, but I had no idea what she was saying. So the woman seated in front of me turned around and told me that the older woman was speaking in German, and was telling me that she and her husband had been separated, and would I switch seats with one of them so they could sit together. I obliged. Gathered my things and moved to the other side of the aisle. Resettled my stuff, reopened my Kindle, started reading, when another guy comes up to me and, in French, asks if I might swap seats with him so he can sit with his wife. (At least I spoke French so got the gist of what was going on). I didn't care and had already been unsettled. So I gathered my things and moved one row back, restored my stuff, and got back to my book. Well, wouldn't you know it. Another woman comes up and addresses me in Italian! (Which I understood). She says that she and her young son were supposed to be seated together, but because we had an aircraft change, they were separated and. . .would I mind, blah, blah, blah. But at this point, everyone in J had already seen me switch seats so many times that all of the pax seated around me burst out laughing and cheering me on. When I took my fourth seat, the passenger I sat down next to joked that she didn't want to get too familiar because she assumed I would be moving yet again. And of course people all around leaned over and said I was being a really nice guy, especially for an American. So everyone ended up happy and I thought it was amusing. Ordinarily this stuff irritates me, but where else but Switzerland could one be asked to change seats in three different languages!