FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at LIH
Thread: Cars at LIH
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:22 am
ginmqi

Originally Posted by lardiop
Just went through LIH. Quick shuttle ride to the just-off airport location.

If if you're planning to rent a convertible, look elsewhere. The place is loaded with 2 and 3 year old base model Camero's and Mustangs. We're taking pre-redesign Mustangs with 35-50k miles and beat up/stained interiors. Staff mentioned they won't be getting new convertibles until early 2018.

The ES had a few uptrim Altimas, Impalas, and lower end Jeeps. EA was about the same.

If you're burning EE free days, book a Full-Size or Premium SUV and then offer to walk with the agent to the lot directly to the right of the ES/EA where they keep all the convertibles and larger SUVs. Try and snag a low mileage one. They have a mix of seasoned and newer models including Suburban LTs and Expedition Limiteds. Don't let them bring one around for you!
GREAT tip. Will definitely keep this in mind. Booked a fullsize SUV for next weekend and will be great if I can get a Expedition Limited or a Yukon. Will give update once I arrive.

Originally Posted by factory81
Also, this is the first time I have seen National Car Rental produce a magazine specifically for a location. They have a magazine called DRIVE, that is handed to guests when they checkout of the rental lot. The magazine is curated specifically for the island of Kauai, and everything you can see/do. It is an actual magazine, at 72 pages in length. You could have practically skipped all planning and reading prior to arriving, and just read this magazine, and got the cliff notes version of it all. Where the farmers markets are on what days, what the good restaurants are on each side, what the good beaches are, etc.

National Executive Members will take note that the shuttle driver will call ahead when you get on the bus at the airport, and have the staff bring your rental out. IME, all 4 times I went to the National location, the lot was empty, and people were being hand delivered vehicles brought from elsewhere.
They have the DRIVE magazines for Hawai'i, Oahu and I presume Maui as well. For Hawaii, I've been using Andrew Doughty's Revealed series and it is far superior to any other guides/books I've seen. Highly recommended for your next to the islands!

Though to your other point, it seems like busy days they may have to hand out cars instead of the more pick and choose. Another poster mentioned you can walk with the agent to pick from the back (if you have a higher level SUV reservation) to pick a nicer model....which I definitely hope can be done....

Originally Posted by Twixboy
I got a Wrangler from ES about 2 weeks ago and wasn't impressed. It had about 9,000 miles, but felt like it had 50,000. Beat up interior, squeaks, and rattles. Scratched up roof from people taking it on and off and just throwing it aside wherever they can find space on their hotel balcony or lanai. Wranglers get beat up by the tourists so bad on this island. I don't think you'll find any Wranglers on Friday and Saturday because they are all reserved. Your best shot at finding one in EA/ES is mid-week.
No surprise there. Wranglers that National carries are the basic Sport trims (they do have Saharas sprinkled in, though not sure about the Kauai location) and Wranglers are not known for their interior quality. I just drove a basically brand new Wrangler from national last week that had 300 miles and I've heard a couple squeaks already during that trip.

Plus with people taking it to all kinds of places...the squeaks/rattles likely won't subside. The top scratches may also be from people renting kayaks/boards that get's strapped on top.

I'll be there next week and looks like there's some great kayaking destinations. I'll be renting them for sure. Unfortunately it's winter time so looks like the ocean kayak along the na pali coast is gonna be impossible!

Last edited by ginmqi; Nov 16, 2017 at 10:30 am