FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:31 pm
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
I was an exception to the max 2 credit cards rule: they approved the Cobalt card for me, while I still held the SPG Biz and SPG personal - they just lowered my limit on the SPG Personal (so much so, that the intent is to cancel at some point).

I'd be curious to know if they make the same exception for you!
Hi pokee,

I thought we already discussed this at the Amex Cobalt thread, and was certain I replied to you already. But I just looked and I guess I didn't post a response that I had typed up. Oh well.

Anyways, that's not really an exception, long term. You and I got exceptions only because there was an outstanding item. In your case, a balance - in my case, I had a pending referral for the card that was to be cancelled, so Amex simply lowered the limit of the card that was going to be cancelled. For me, card had become a $1 credit limit, thereby effectively making it a non-effective card while at the same time it stayed alive so I could get the referring bonus points, and open my '3rd' Amex CREDIT card product.

For me, once the pending bonus points for the referral posted, they then truly closed the down the older card, so my 3 CREDIT card state only lasted for a couple of weeks. I would expect the same will happen to your $200 limit SPG card, but if not, you can continue to use the card if you wanted to, by pre-loading a credit balance onto the card if you'd like, and then making say a $500 purchase. But, you won't need to do that since you still have the Biz SPG card to use for earning SPG points.