FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United.com no longer allows bookings within 30 minutes of departure
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:08 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Sorry, I absolutely see no issue with not allowing one to book a flight wihtin 30 minutes of departure time. In fact, I'm surprised one could.
Why shouldn't you be able to do so if you're willing to pay what they're asking?

I realize it may be disappointing to standby passengers, but if I show up at a gate 20 minutes prior to departure with no checked baggage and a willingness to pay whatever fare I'm seeing in the app, why is it not in the airline's interest to sell it?

Could be profitable, in fact. My <other airline> flight just canceled. I want to get home from this business trip. United has a seat for $500, middle seat in the last row, board right now. Fine, I'll take it!

(I'm obviously thinking domestic flights here.)

Granted, over the years I've more often been the standby - *not* the guy willing to pay whatever - so it's in my own personal interest that the guy not buy the seat. But I don't see why United wouldn't sell it or would make the guy go through a convoluted hoop that most people wouldn't consider - buying a ticket later and immediately SDC'ing it.