FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton vs. Marriott for Golds
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:01 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The only card I can think of that gives Marriott Gold right out of the box is the RC credit card, but it comes with a hefty $395/yr annual fee. If you can charge $75K in a year, you can even get RC Plat status (which is the same as Marriott Plat).

On the SPG side, you can get Gold (and then if your accounts are linked you will have Marriott Gold) if you spend $30K in a calendar year plus you get some extra night/stay bonuses for having the SPG CCs. In fact, having both a personal and business SPG CC gets you double the initial night/stay credit from the cards. ^ I also think you can get SPG Gold with the Amex Plat CC which comes with a nice $450/yr annual fee.

None of the Marriott branded cards come with instant Gold status, but you do get 15 nights credit plus you can get another night for every $3K spent on the cards. And I think these cards come with the first year free.
That is a hefty fee and spend. The Am Ex plat comes with a lot of other benefits though and I'm actually considering that card since it has skyclub access and that benefit is going bye bye for Delta diamonds next year.

I'm hoping now that Hilton is giving out diamond so freely with credit cards SPG/Marriott will come out with a similar credit card. I have no issues paying $450 a year for a credit card if it gives Platinum status with marriott, especially seeing it gives United Gold as a benefit.