FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:26 am
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mc0107
I've been trying to get some answers pertaining to the last bit of your post. If you've requested a GPU on a reservation and SDC, does the GPU carry over? I've been told numerous times that GPUs can't be applied within 24 hours, but can't get an answer if the SDC returns it and would require a reapplication.

I've got a SIN-LAX-IAH trip coming up and it's filling up, but SIN-SFO-IAH looks a lot more likely so I'd like to try and SDC to that and have my GPU request carry over. Is this a possibility?
Originally Posted by Kacee

That's not correct. They can be applied within 24 hours. They are just not supposed to be waitlisted. Though an accommodating agent may disregard this rule if you're lucky.

But SDC for the upgrade really only works if you're SDC'ing into open R. That's going to be a rarity on any SIN flight.
I ended up making changes at T=72h, and again at T<24h. Both times, no issues with the phone agents to get the GPU's re-applied. Though my data point involved the GPU's clearing instantly into PN (forced by GS phone agent) at T<24h.

None of this can be done online... phone agents only.