FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit to partner FF#, lose upgrade
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:56 pm
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Hi All-

Note this isn't a complaint, just posting for information and to better understand the process.

I am a DL PM but also a VA PM (top status on VA). I have kept both status the last couple years because I am based in Australia but like the combination of coverage that I get with Skyteam + VA's partners.

In any case I will credit VA and DL flights to either program depending on my needs. Up until now it has been pretty seamless. I always book with the operating airline's FF# and then if I need to change it, I do it at the airport or lounge.

Recently at LAX I checked in for a domestic DL flight and wanted to switch to my VA number. I had a C+ upgraded seat in SU class on the outbound, my return is booked directly in C+. I didn't think this would be a problem as VA PM is also eligible for a complimentary C+ upgrade too. However the agent said she had to boot me out, she checked with Global (her term) and they said the same thing. At first she gave me no seat (seat request card) but I protested a bit and she gave me a decent aisle seat.

I called the PM line to check and they said this was policy and I would always be dumped out of a SU upgrade if I took off my DL number, and if my new partner number was eligible for C+, I would have to be put back on the waitlist and reclear.

I thought I had been able to keep my SU upgrades in the past when changing to my VA number, but I can't be 100% certain.

I do have a question for anyone here, Does anyone know if this applies to RUC upgrades? I am about to make my PM choice and was angling towards RUC. Since there is a tangible 'payment' involved with a RUC, I am thinking if I swapped FF# I could keep my upgrade. But I was looking for any thoughts or experiences.

Cheers
From this link UPGRADE CERTIFICATES I think the answer for RUCs for non-SkyMiles is "no".

Offer includes eligible Delta or Delta Connection flights between the origin and destination of a ticketed fare for the named SkyMiles Member or a travel companion pursuant to the terms and conditions of this offer.
If you don't credit a particular flight to SkyMiles, you aren't a SkyMiles member on that flight. At least that's my guess.