FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:13 pm
ianmanka

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Attachment 43796I flew Friday's AA1379 LAX-BOS (the red-eye), upgraded to F. No e-mail before the flight.

I used T5 Priority Check-in (former Delta One check-in area) and asked the agents there about the catering situation. They looked at me blankly, and I had to mention a few other key phrases ("listeria," "meal service," "snacks") before it clicked as to what I was asking about. They said they had no other information, but recommended that I pick up something in the terminal. I asked if any meal vouchers were being issued for this purpose, was told flat-out no.

I didn't have Admirals Club access for this flight, but decided to check with them in case they had better information. There the AC agent said that all catering issues had been resolved and that I had nothing to worry about.

Seeing the disparity of the two opinions, I talked to the gate agent. The GA working the flight didn't know, deferred to the senior GA, who walked down to the plane and said "yes, it's been double catered, there's food."

On boarding, passing by the folding tables stationed in the jet bridge stocked with beverages and other items covered by tablecloths, I boarded and asked the FA what the catering situation was. She said she had sandwiches and some snacks from the previous flight.

PDB was water or OJ. Then upon a departure delay waiting for maintenance to inspect a missing lifejacket compartment cover, I was able to ask for other drinks.

After takeoff, the snack basket was a picked-over collection of pretzels, mixed nuts, and cookie thins. To the side of the snack basket were plastic-wrapped turkey, lettuce, and cheese sandwiches (TLCs?) on wheat, with a laserjet address label slapped on the back identifying them. This flight is normally "refreshments," so I guess I should take it as a win. But then I tasted the sandwich -- the bread was hard and borderline-stale. I would have rather had a full snack basket instead of the sandwich.

(I checked after landing, and this plane originated in HNL)
Attached Images