FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tight connection in PDX - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Tight connection in PDX - am I crazy?

I'm looking at booking a trip next summer from SEA to AMS. On the day I want to fly, the best routing available is SEA-PDX-AMS. That gets me the non-stop TATL leg that I want (it's all about sleep time for me). SEA to PDX is certainly a quick, easy hop, and I don't mind adding that on. My concern is the tight connection in PDX - just 62 minutes.
Delta's ticketing engine is offering this routing, so it's a legal connection.
We will have checked bags.

In most cases I wouldn't accept such a short connection, but in this case I'm tempted, since this routing gets me the long TATL that I want (other options don't). I figure that...
1. Both flights will be on Delta metal, and they will try hard to get us on the TATL flight rather than have to accommodate us later.
2. We will be in DeltaOne, so we will be seated in one of the first few rows, and we will be off the inbound plane quickly. Our checked bags will also get some sort of "priority" tags (for what that's worth...).
3. PDX isn't huge. I expect we will hustle off the inbound, hustle straight to the outbound gate, and board.
4. I know Delta puts an emphasis on being on-time.

All that said, I'm not very familiar with the gate layout at PDX, so I don't have a clear sense of how far it would be from the incoming gate (domestic) to the outbound (international). I'm assuming we would not have to re-clear security, so please correct me if I'm wrong (that could easily scuttle this plan).

I'd welcome input from those familiar with Delta ops in PDX on how risky this 62 minute connection would be.

What do you think - is one hour enough to make that connection?

Thank you!