FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Isn't it safer to NOT sign Credit card?
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:01 am
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by carnivaltime
I never sign my credit cards and they all have the chip now. Only once when I was overseas, I was asked to sign my card. There was a big sign at the counter saying "card is not valid unless signed"
+1

Originally Posted by AllieKat
1. If​​​​​ you don't sign it, the thief can. Because you didn't take reasonable precautions, zero liability won't apply.

2. Why on earth are you carrying a checkbook around with you??? Quit doing that if you care at all about security.
+1

Originally Posted by kayanco
My overall point is:
Signing a CC doesn't give any additional benefit over leaving is unsigned. BUT it does create a risk of exposing your signature. Even if it's a very small risk, it is there without a benefit to compensate.
So few places these days take checks, I have not carried one in YEARS.

I sign my CC if I remember to or when once or twice someone wants to see my signature in Europe.

Funny story, actually in Canada where we mostly use chip or contactless (I have US issued cards), at Bulk Barn they wanted to compare my signature, so I signed CC on the spot, and the clerk just gave ma a look. Not a nice look ..... but it was only about 10 bucks, so they were happy just to check my DL.