FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voltage conversion assistance - 220v to 110v?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:27 am
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Interesting idea! I couldn't find any via the link you provided however I found this: https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/gl...-es-e27-pearl/

It has an interesting purpose but may suffice for my needs. Thanks for the idea!

So it sounds like I am not able to just use a travel adapter with the bulbs I have now. But if I can find a bulb that fits my Italian lamp at 110v, then I can use the travel adapter without worry of ruining the lamp? Would this ruin the dimmer control (which states it too is for 220-240v)?
The travel adapter is perfectly OK to use. The wiring will be sufficient as well because it was sized to carry a certain maximum current (amps). It's most likely sized to somewhere between 15-20 amps. U.S. wall outlets are most often 15 amps. That's a long explanation to say that you don't have to worry about the wiring inside the lamp.

Thanks to Georg Ohm and James Watt, we know that the European 220v bulb being run on U.S. electicity will shine about 1/2 as bright as in Europe.

My guess is that the dimmer switch rating of 220v refers to the input voltage. It can safely handle a lower input voltage. If it's a basic dimmer switch (and not solid state), it's simply a big variable resistor. It will work more efficiently in the U.S. because it doesn't have to dissipate as much heat with an input voltage of 110v.

If you would like to PM me with pictures of the ID plates of the lamp and dimmer (if there are two), I can give it a quick look to make sure I'm not missing anything. If the FT PM system doesn't take attachments, PM me your email address and we can handle things that way. I can tke a quick look at the rating panel and let you know if the wiring and other hardware is OK for the U.S.. In my day job, I work with folks from the Italian Space Agency. If they make lamps like they make satellites, I wouldn't worry.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to try to find 110v bulbs with European fittings that meet your requirements. If you find the bulbs, buy lots of them so you won't have to worry about running out of replacements any time soon.