FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voltage conversion assistance - 220v to 110v?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:54 am
nomad1972

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all,

I bought an Italian lamp from Europe and have it in the USA now. It takes E27 light bulbs (i.e., European threads) and is rated for 220-240v. There is a dimmer on it as well which says it can handle 220-240v and up to 300W. The lamp itself has three 70 Watt bulbs (which I also bought from Europe). This is the lamp I bought if you need more info:

I assumed that I need to buy a voltage converter and did that for $25.
However, I was reading here: that I may be able to just use the lamp if I simply convert the plug with an adapter to fit US electric outlets. Is this true? I further understand to make this true I'd need to use US bulbs (with E26 threads).

It works with the converter but the converter is an "eye-sore". So I am wondering if there is an alternate way to use the lamp without ruining it.

Thanks to anyone who has info - it's sure hard to find online.
Ms Nomad had me convert a few EU spec lamps for use in North America. With one exception, all E27 sockets worked fine with domestic E26 A19 bulbs. For the one exception I found similar porcelain E26 sockets at Home Depot.

To be on the safe side I also change the power cord with a UL rated one, as the gauge of EU conductors is higher than the North American ones (the higher the gauge, the lower the diameter).