FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hoping That the Train is On Time: Amtrak's Empire Builder with my Dad
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:14 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xooz
Thanks for the report! Got me considering something similar with the wife perhaps. I will have to do some research on best 2-ish day train trips for scenery, food and karma. Always appreciate it when someone gets me thinking! And nice to see father and son having a good time, no matter what their ages are.
Originally Posted by HomerJay
For a two-day trip, might I suggest the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver? Leave early in the morning, get to see the Sierras the first day, and the Rockies the second. Get into Denver in the evening of the second day. Can't beat the scenery.
I also think the Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver is a great start. Or you can start with the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles up the coast. You can alight in Portland in time for dinner or go all the way to Seattle. Or if you're like me and you like the desert, Los Angeles to El Paso on the Sunset Limited is also fun.

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Nice report! As I live 45 minutes away from Williston, and have an infant, the thought of Amtrak travel has been creeping on me more and more. It seems like it would be a good way to travel with the family for quick trips either East or West.
If only I'd known you were around during my delay! Definitely give it a try.

Originally Posted by Glensea
Thanks for another great rails report.

In 2008 we took the Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, then the Southwest Chief to LA, which arrived 6 hours late so we missed our connection to the Coastal Starlight. A week later from Portland to rode the Empire Builder to Chicago [arriving three hours late], connecting to a delayed Capitol Limited to WAS [arriving 4 hours late]. Would we do this trip again? Absolutely. We've learned that Amtrak is about destinations, not about schedules.

We fly when we need to be somewhere quickly. We take the train when we want to enjoy the journey.
Well said. I too have had a delay experience on the Capitol Limited as well as many shorter ones on the regional trains. It's frustrating but like you said you're just there to enjoy the journey.

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for another great train report from you.

Nice choice of whisky too!
Why thank you! Every man should have his bottle and The Glenlivet is mine.

Originally Posted by C W
Wonderful trip report!

Seeing everything in Oregon made me a bit homesick, looking forward to visiting soon. Portland Union Station was a great reminder of when I used to take the Amtrak several times a week, great memories
Well I'm glad I could give you an excuse to go back, not that you need one for a city like Portland!

Originally Posted by 1010101
Nice report, a long distance Amtrak has long been on my to do list. Just got to convince the wife why we need to do that over much faster and cheaper airlines!
Just show her one of my reports and she'll get it. Hope you two get to take a train trip soon