FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use AS Miles to Book British Airways Flight
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:18 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I refuse to pay BA fees strictly on principle.
I have no principles as far as that goes; I regularly buy AV miles, sometimes buy AS miles, have recently indirectly bought DL and UA miles (using a DL targeted promo of 1k per unique partner and a UA hotel point transfer promo from Choice Privileges and Club Carlson to top up for a future award), used to buy US miles in the past when they were a going concern.

If I relied on JUST my 20-45k annual AS BIS miles plus whatever else randomly occurs to generate mileage for premium longhaul travel, I'd get to do it maybe once every three or four years, if that; at 50% bonus, an annual total of 25,000 BIS AS miles will take you about three years to do one CX J round trip. I'd rather take them every 12-18 months.

As such, I'd rather spend $500-1,000 USD on miles per year than $1,000 or more on mileage runs on places I don't really want to go to. As such, a BA redemption is just another cost.

PS: try a one way from Europe originating from Inverness (INV). See what happens.