FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:07 pm
Mrtrash757
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've been a Nexus/Pixel user.

I just sold my Pixel, and started using a $40 phone for a while (at least until the new Pixel comes out.) I bought this prepaid Verizon E4:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-M...paid/953073971

No Walmart near me, so I price-matched the $40 price at Target. Once I got the phone, I paid $2 for an unlock code on Ebay, and popped in my T-mobile postpaid SIM.

OK, the camera doesn't hold a candle to a flagship phone. But, it has 16 GB built in memory, space for an SD card, and a battery that pops out. And, the screen is not as good as a flagship, but very nice and readable. Videos are very watachable. There was some Verizon crapware but I disabled those apps in settings and they are no longer visible.

I don't need a case - if I drop it and break the screen, I can get a new phone for $40, less than the deductible for Applecare.

I may well buy another flagship for the camera. But, an Iphone certainly does not have 17.5 times the functionality of this phone, but it does cost 17.5 times as much for the base model.
I had (well still have) the Moto G4 Play.

Only thing I hated was that I couldn't root it , but thats the price you pay for Verizon phones.

I reccomend anyone interested in the Moto G4 Play to check out the Moto E4 ($39.99 at Walmart on Verizon) or E4 Plus ($129.99 but has 13MP camera, 5000 mah battery and the Walmart one includes a case), its a new version of the phone with newer software.