FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 am
Fabo.sk

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by skyhighlander
Well, if a "segment runner" will be starting from Ivory on the 1st of April 2018 I think this will mean that the current system did not really work for him either, and obviously neither will the new one. And for someone who may potentially consider joining FB? Of course, it will be much more difficult to achieve status. But are you a loser if you're not paying yet? This will affect them the same way as let's say AA changes affected me, in no way. If they won't like the rules, they won't join in.
You are a loser in comparison - ake some AZ member who wants to switch to another ST program; if one managed to do early 2017, great - in early or mid 2018 - not great at all, unless status match happens.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Strange would be the system whereby throwing a J ticket into the mix DIDN'T *severely* reduce the "grind".
In other words, the old FB system

But the "severity" of that reduction needs to be placed into context

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not entirely sure I understand what you mean by "a 36XP round-trip J will now require only 22 EU flights".

If I look to Millemiglia, a single AMS-FCO-SCL return in J (often available for little more than €1300) nets a total of around 49300 miles, which leaves you only ~700 miles short of Freccia Alata, the equivalent of FB Gold. So, Millemiglia gives you "FB Gold" equivalent for one judiciously-chosen J ticket, and a couple of shorthaul extra flights. Could be done on the basis of just 2 tickets. Regardless of whether you already hold status or not.

You wouldn't even get FB Gold with 2 AF La Premiere tickets (unless one or both was connecting from longhaul P to longhaul P at CDG)!!

That makes the FB "one J, plus 22 shorthauls" to Gold - but only if you already have Gold! - look rather bad.
Of course, if you get a cheap, high mileage J ticket, than it's golden in mileage-earning schemes, but the same was true of FB (and is until Mar 2018), though it would require a fair bit more exotic routing than AMS-FCO-SCL.

As for 36XP roundtrip and 22 Y flights - 36x2=72, so ~110XP to be raised on 22 flights per 5XP. It's a bit difference from before.