FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:18 pm
Finkface

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Given that this information comes directly from AS website it seems reasonable that agents working these routes know both the applicable government and company rules.
I'm not disagreeing that this is the rule as well as CBP and CBSA accepting only a Nexus. I've looked this up myself in the past. I am just saying that based on my experience, and the experiences that others have posted in this thread and in the Nexus thread, some GAs (those at YVR for example) have insisted on a passport. You can argue the rule with them, show them this printout, show them the CBP, CBSA and WHTI sites etc. and you will likely win eventually as you are correct. But will you make the flight you are wanting to board? If I had no pressing need to fly on that flight, I would try it. If I had to fly, I would take the safe route and renew my passport. You may not - and really shouldn't because of WHTI - have any problem whatsoever, which is how it should be. But on the flip side, if you do run into a GA who wants a passport, can you afford to miss the flight while you argue your case?