FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:46 am
marcolau317

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interesting. So they are saying because LHR-HKG would be a different zone pricing than TXL-HKG you can't do it?

I would have suggested there is no change in destination and the longhaul flight remains exactly the same. LHR-HKG is down on BA as 5979 miles. There is a zone break at 5500 miles but as there is no TXL-HKG route there is no mileage on BA for it. gcmap says it would be 5440 miles though.

Now I am beginning to doubt my own advice here. Previously adding a UK domestic flight to an existing flight would be ok but that would be within the same zone.
I'll try contact HK hotline tomorrow. See if I use my mother language (Cantonese) can negotiate something...

If that still fail, I will take earlier flight; and I hope I don't need to use the travel insurance...

EDIT (7 Nov): Maybe BA is right. I can't change to TXL due to distance band, whic has discussed a couple of times here. Now I decided to leave from Hamburg, ~5550 miles direct from HK (phew).
The lady in HK hotline seem to have no idea on such rules, and want to refuse changing; she finally agree with me when I mention the rule and the fact that HAM is in the same band zone.
Avios deducted, fees paid. Now waiting for some tax to return. And I have one more cities to visit!!!!

Last edited by marcolau317; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:27 pm