FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A350 general discussion
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:32 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Per a local forum, it seems that CX was a bit optimistic on the plane hitting EWR. Seems like there was a recent 899 that flew back with an empty belly (all bags offloaded)!

(feeling happy about anything that hints at lesser chance of ORD getting 350...hehehe)
ha! I'm pleased to see this comment just based on some coincidental thinking. I was going to come and ask if CX was load restricting the plane and I saw your post. I've seen some operating data for CX's A350s and.....was wondering how the hell they were doing A359 back from EWR with these flying times. Now I know!!!! "Sorry your baggage allowance for this flight is: Zero." I wonder if EWR will switch back to 77G. What a disappointment for CX.

->Prediction: CX will take the additional A359s they just swapped for (from the -1000) as the A350-900ULR. That's the variant designed for SQ's relaunch of EWR and LAX nonstop and coming next year, but Airbus is making all A359 orders and birds eligible for the up-gauge early next year. I believe even all regular A350-900s delivered from a certain date quite soon will be able to be up-gauged to the ULR version relatively easily. The Airbus guys were explaining it to me and it sounds like the airlines can make the decision relatively late in the game or even up-gauge an existing / eligible (aka delivered after a certain date) A350-900.