FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:18 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbedelman
Does anyone have any real world experience traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but without a passport? Both countries explicitly say it's fine but apparently some airlines don't know that and gate agents occasionally deny boarding.

My wife's passport just expired, she has to go to YVR on short notice and I'm hoping that AS knows the rules.
I am Canadian and have a Nexus card as well. I travel often between YLW-SEA. I always get TSA Pre but always have to provide my passport at the gate in Kelowna for verification. I have tried to use my Nexus card but it is never accepted even though the KTN is on the reservation. When I arrive in Seattle I have to use my Pasdport at the Nexus terminals to make my declaration. My partner who does not have Nexus always gets TSA Pre when traveling with me. He uses Mobile Passport, passes right by me and heads down to the carousel only needing to scan his Mobile Passport receipt when leaving customs.

Returning SEA-YLW, if Passports have not yet been verified the agents will call all passengers with outstanding verification to present themselves at the gate. Again never had success with my Nexus card.

Interestingly, the only time I am able to enter the United States via air without providing my Passport was departing YVR with US Pre-clearance. The Nexus Terminals in YVR will read a Nexus Card unlike SEA or PHX.

Great for Global Entry even if transiting the United States. Also used it successfully at land border crossings and arriving by marine.

James